Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Sites I like

The current issue of The New Yorker calls to mind two websites I like, and a third that has no affiliation whatsoever with the aforementioned self-important publication:

Wikipedia
http://wikipedia.org/
Yes, I know, no great revelation here. Wikipedia's about as commonplace as Google now...but still. I continue to be awed by this auto-didact's paradise of polygnostic pleasures. And in Polski, no less!

Jackson Pollock
http://jacksonpollock.org/
No great fan of his work, I nevertheless take frequent gleeful refuge in this site...perhaps because it slyly supports my theory that Pollock's geniuses were those of size, timing and willingness to waste paint.

80s Videos
http://www.thebestlegaladvice.com/
Cognoscenti, rejoice! I could barely believe my luck when I stumbled on this one. Guilty pleasure finds a home in this collection of 1,500 (were there ever so many?) of your favourite videos from the 80s. Have a fast connection or it will soon get tedious. After overcoming my initial horror at seeing only one Flock of Seagulls number (and not their undisputed chef d'oeuvre), I wallowed in the particular pleasures of Barbra Streisand's "Woman in love" (a production so impartial, the diva herself couldn't be bothered to turn up for it), and the post-Magritte art-school hokiness of ABC's "Look of Love." Tell me your faves...

2 comments:

demondoll said...

I love www.pajiba.com
I also love dlisted.com, but that is because I am shallow to end all shallowness. Mudpuddles have nothing on me.

demondoll said...

Ok, I just realized how often I use Wikipedia. I heart Wikipedia